Gabb Watch 3 Overheating/Cool Down Issue

bladerunn3r
bladerunn3r Member Posts: 2

I recently upgraded my kids watch from the 2nd gen to the Gabb Watch 3.
From day one it's had overheating issues. It says it needs to "cool down" and shuts itself off.
Gabbs "troubleshooting" steps are software and firmware updates--all of which I've done.

When talking to support they say it can overheat due to "being in the sun" and excessive app use.
I have a whole set of thoughts around a wearable device that can't even be in the sun (outdoors, exactly where you'd expect kids to be while wearing their watch!).

Is this a known design/engineering/hardware issue? It seems to be constantly "overheating", even indoors, while not in use. Ive reached out to their support and got a standard, its not us its you type response. They are currently doing some kind of internal "sync" and told me to wait 24 hours to see if the issue corrects itself.

Anyone running into something similar?

Tagged:

Comments

• ReaganKowal
    ReaganKowal Administrator, Moderator Posts: 473 Admin

Hi @bladerunn3r,

Thank you for sharing this experience you have had with your Gabb Watch 3. Sorry to hear about the trouble you are experiencing with it overheating. This is definitely not typical for the device to experience. Being in the sun is one actions that could cause the device to overheat along with low network connection or overuse of the device.

Thank you for troubleshooting with Customer Support and doing the sync to troubleshoot this. If you are continuing to see overheating issues after this sync, please respond back to the Customer Support outreach so our team can continue to investigate this with you. Thank you!

-Reagan

• Megs
    Megs Member Posts: 2

This is happening to ours. Simply trying to set an alarm causes it to go to blue logo screen and then when trying to use again it says it is overheated. Haven’t been able to use for days. Can barely get through just setting one alarm let alone let my kid use it to call and text. Have tried rebooting and continuing to get same issues. Battery is fully charged. Full connection to WiFi. Very frustrated and several days of paying for watch that isn’t useable. Not able to leave kid home alone because we can’t rely on it.

• ReaganKowal

Hi @Megs,

Sorry to hear you have been experiencing this trouble with your Gabb Watch 3. There are several troubleshooting steps that can be followed to help with this. Here are a few:

First: Let battery deplete

• Let battery deplete: Allow your Gabb Watch battery to completely deplete and then charge it back to 100%.

Second: Unpair, Reset, Pair

• Unpair: Open the parent MyGabb app > Devices > Profile > Remove Device.
    • Reset: Place the watch on charger > Press the back button (top right button) 10 times fast > Select the checkmark on the watch > The watch will power off, factory reset, then power back on when it’s finished.
    • Pair: The pairing process can be found here.

Many more troubleshooting steps can be taken to help with this if the above steps do not work. It looks like our Customer Support has reached out to you to help further with this. Please respond back to them at your earliest convenience. Thank you!

-Reagan

• Tsmith54
    Tsmith54 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 18

my daughter's watch told her “too much screen time” and turned off. This was on 07/16/24 in the afternoon. Now 7/17/24 it still will not turn on. It will go to the Gabb screen and freeze, and then turn off. Is this due to overheating?

• ReaganKowal

Hello @Tsmith54,

Thank you for sharing your experience here! Sorry for any frustration or trouble this has caused. This error could be due to the watch overheating from over use. To start troubleshooting the error, please follow these steps:

First: Let battery deplete

• Let battery deplete: Allow your Gabb Watch battery to completely deplete and then charge it back to 100%.

Second: Factory Reset the device

• Place the watch on the charger
    • Press the back button (top right button) 10 times fast
    • An image will appear on the watch
    • Select the checkmark on the watch
    • The watch will power off, factory reset, then power back on when it’s finished

These steps should help restore the device back to its normal functionality. Hope this helps!

-Reagan

• jflovitt
    jflovitt Member Posts: 2

Same issue with overheating here, have followed the troubleshooting steps which does work for a while but issue crops up again even when in temperature controlled environments. For me it also overheats while trying to reset the watch which is annoying to have to let it set, cool down and then restart the setup process

• ReaganKowal

@jflovitt

Thank you for doing those troubleshooting steps. Sorry to hear that you are still experiencing the same issue after doing these steps. The next step is to work with Customer Support to see if your device qualifies for a replacement. It looks like our Customer Support has reached out to you. Please respond back to them at your earliest convenience.

-Reagan

• Andrew
    Andrew Member Posts: 1

My sons watch is constantly overheating and shutting down. What is the point of a watch that I cant get a hold of him on. The bad part is he doesn't notice that it is turned off.

• ReaganKowal
    edited August 15

Hello @Andrew,

So sorry to hear you were experiencing this trouble with your device. It's great to see that you were able to reach out to our Customer Support team and get assistance through these troubleshooting steps:

1. On the MyGabb App: Unpair the watch
      1. Select the "Devices" tab
      2. Select "Profile" on the watch you need to unpair
      3. Scroll to the bottom of the profile and select "Remove Device"
      4. Select "Remove and Reset"
    2. On the Watch: Factory Reset the watch
      1. Place the watch on the charger
      2. Press the back button (top right button) 10 times fast
      3. Select the checkmark on the watch
      4. The watch will power off, factory reset, then power back on when it’s finished
    3. Pair back to the watch

Thank you for working with our team to get this resolved!

-Reagan

• Seanh378
    Seanh378 Member Posts: 2

I have the same issue with my son’s watch. It was sitting on the charger. We went to use it and it’s cycles over and over to cool down.

I have followed ALL the steps above to reset and repair the device. It’s still cooking hot. And resetting over and over again. Th watch used to work great. Now it’s totally unreliable.

• ReaganKowal

Hello @Seanh378,

So sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Gabb Watch 3 overheating. This sounds like an issue that needs further investigation. Our Customer Support team will be able to help get this resolved for you. They have reached out, please reach out to them at your earliest convenience.

Thank you!

-Reagan

• Kbru2024
    Kbru2024 Member Posts: 1

We are new to the Gabb watch 3. I was very excited for this. However with only a month in, we have already experienced so many issues. First, it overheats often. My kiddo was on the phone for about 5 minutes and it overheated and shut off. I was setting it up and it overheated. We weren’t outside just sitting in our house on both occasions. It also seems to have a very poor battery life. He doesn’t use it at school just on the way home to let me know he left and it is practically dead by then. I’m very frustrated with this. It also seems a bit glitchy when trying to call or text sometimes. Did I just get a lemon because everyone else that uses the Gabb watches say they never experienced this.

• ReaganKowal

Hi @Kbru2024,

So sorry to hear that you are experiencing some trouble with your Gabb Watch 3 overheating and the battery life. It's great to see that you were able to contact our amazing Customer Support team to troubleshoot this. Thank you for working with us to help get this resolved1

-Reagan

Gabb Help Center

Explore articles and tutorials to answer your product questions.

Visit Help Center