How do we use video calling?

JoBruun
JoBruun Member Posts: 5
edited May 24 in Software

Supposedly Gabb has a "Safe Video Calling" feature. How are we supposed to get that to work? Feeling a little frustrated not knowing how to facetime my child

Best Answer

• Robert Dean
    Robert Dean Administrator Posts: 8 Admin
    edited May 24 Answer ✓

Hi there Jo,

Sorry you're feeling frustrated. Never fun trying communicate with your child and not being able to. Here are steps and info on using Safe Video Calling:

1. Make sure your child is using a Gabb phone (Gabb Phone 3 Pro etc). Video calling is not available on Gabb watches at this time.
    2. Make sure your child is logged into a Gabb ID inside the Gabb ID app on their device.
    3. Download the Gabb Messenger Parent app (available for iOS on the App Store or Android in the Google Play Store). Login using your Gabb Account credentials - the same username and password you use when logging in online at gabb.com/account.
    4. In the Gabb Messenger Parent app, tap Controls and toggle Safe Video Calling on or off.

The video call settings may take a few hours to sync but you can expedite this process by going to Settings > Troubleshooting > Sync Settings in your child's Gabb Messenger app on their device.

In addition to Safe Video Calling, the Gabb Messenger Parent app will notify you if high risk content (explicit images, links or harmful words from from unknown contacts etc) are being sent or received. For more info on features of Gabb Messenger see our Gabb Messenger product page.

-Bob

Answers

• joshua1980
    joshua1980 Member Posts: 2

YEs my child can video call like 8 people all the sudden and can video call me I would change some things but it's ok

• RHagen
    RHagen Member Posts: 3

Hello! We recently got the Gabb Phone 4 for our daughter. Im the account owner and Im the only person with the option to video call. My wife downloaded the gabb messenger app but doesn't get the option. How do we get this to work?

• ReaganKowal
    ReaganKowal Administrator, Moderator Posts: 473 Admin

Hello @RHagen

Your post was merged into this one as others have experienced a similar question.

Video calls can only be made to the Primary Contact and other Gabb Phones who have Gabb Messenger installed and enabled. If the contact does not have Gabb Messenger installed on their device your child will not be able to make video calls to that person. Children can make video calls to parents who have the Gabb Messenger Parent app installed on their smartphone. 

Here are some troubleshooting steps to follow if you are unable to video call:

To/from a parent:

1. Make sure that your child has Gabb Messenger installed on their Gabb phone.
    2. Download the Gabb Messenger Parent app on your smartphone. 
    3. Make sure your child is logged into their GabbID app & connected to WiFi. 
    4. Use the Gabb Messenger Parent app to make a video call to your child:
      • Open the Gabb Messenger Parent app on your smartphone.
      • Select the video camera icon at the top of the screen.
      • Select the video camera icon next to the child you want to call.

To/from another child:

1. Make sure that both your child and the recipient have Gabb Messenger installed on a Gabb phone. 
    2. Make sure that a parent has enabled video calling for each child. This must be done from the Gabb Messenger Parent app.
    3. Add the contact as an approved contact (if applicable).
    4. Make sure both kids are logged in to their GabbID & connected to WiFi. 

Hope this helps!

-Reagan

• RHagen
    RHagen Member Posts: 3

We have tried all of the above but the option still does not pop up to video call from my wifes. It also doesn't give the option on the Gabb phone

• ReaganKowal
    edited September 9

Hi @RHagen,

Please note that video calls can only be made to the Primary Contact (not a Guardian contact) and other Gabb Phones who have Gabb Messenger. Approved contacts that are not Gabb Phones are unable to video call at this time.

Sorry for any confusion! Our team is working to make this a possibility in the future.

Thank you!

-Reagan

• Psch0813
    Psch0813 Member Posts: 2

I'm the primary contact and yet cannot video call my child. When he calls, it will pop up on my phone. I hit the button to answer and nothing happens. My phone acts like it is connected but it's not and it continues to ring on my child's phone.

• ReaganKowal

@Psch0813,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing some trouble with the video calling. Here are some troubleshooting steps to follow:

1. Update Parent Messenger app
      1. Ensure your Parent Messenger app is on the most recent update in the Apple Store or Google Play Store
      2. You can delete and redownload the app to force an update
    2. Sync your device
      1. Ensure your child’s device is logged into Gabb ID.
      2. Make sure your child’s device is connected to WiFi or data.
      3. Open the Gabb Messenger app on the child’s device.
      4. Navigate to Settings > Troubleshooting > Sync Settings

Please note, it can take up to 4 hours for the child’s device to sync with the parent app for the first time. Manually syncing through the troubleshooting menu can expedite this process.

Hope these troubleshooting steps help!

-Reagan

• User42
    User42 Member Posts: 1

New user here, and I am a little confused. I see from a previous thread that it’s still a ‘work in progress’ to allow Gabb phones to Facetime with Guardian accounts. We only have 1 phone.

Does that mean these phones can technically only make video calls with 1 person? their primary acct?

I was under the assumption my child’s friends could download a Gabb app (from their app stores), and then Facetime together. That was how the safe video call feature was explained to me. Is this not the case?

Is there a roadmap for when these key features will be implemented? thanks.

• ReaganKowal

Hello @user42

Great questions! At this time, video calls can only be made to the Primary Contact and other Gabb Phone users who have Gabb Messenger downloaded. We hope to expand of this feature in the future.

You can learn more about video calling in Gabb Messenger here in our Help Article:

https://gabb.com/support/software/gabb-messenger-user-guide/#h-safe-video-calling-on-gabb-messenger

Hope this information helps!

-Reagan

• Jkltg915
    Jkltg915 Member Posts: 1

My kid only having the capability to video chat me and not my husband while he’s on shift or her grandparents or any friends is disappointing. None of her typical friends have a gabb and none of her grandparents have a gabb. We got this phone due to the video chat option only to find out that I’m the only one who can video chat her which is totally unnecessary since I’m with her all of the time. She is 14 with Down syndrome and knows she is missing out but can’t have a phone conversation clearly without someone seeing her and she can’t text well yet. She was so excited to get a phone and be like her peers only to wind up with a $30/month camera. I’m hoping my feedback for the capabilities for the special needs community is considered. Sure I could get my kid an iPhone and make this possible but then a world that she shouldn’t be exposed to would be at her fingertips. Please pass the info along. I’ll be checking if the bark phone has this capability currently. I’d like to stay with gabb since I’ve been with them since the beginning but if it no longer fulfills the needs of our family we’ll have to switch.

Gabb Help Center

Explore articles and tutorials to answer your product questions.

Visit Help Center