My child accessed YouTube and the internet through an app I approved...

ElizabethJune_98
ElizabethJune_98 Member Posts: 10
edited May 24 in Gabb phones

Hi Gabb. Really appreciate what you guys have done for my family so far but I'm a little concerned. My son has a Gabb phone 3 with the "advanced" type plan to get apps. I recently enabled an app for him from my account online. He downloaded the app just fine on his phone but I was really disappointed when he came to me and showed me a YouTube video. He had accessed it through the app I enabled. I thought these devices were free of the internet and social media....

Best Answer

• ReaganKowal
    ReaganKowal Administrator, Moderator Posts: 473 Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi Elizabeth!. First off, sorry to hear that you guys had that experience with YouTube access. Our number one goal is to provide parents and kids with the right tech for their situation. Safety is the number one priority! We run all of the 3rd party apps inside the Gabb App Store through an approval process but with any app that is not developed by Gabb, there are inherent risks involved. We recognize this and want to let you as the parent choose what is best for your situation!

Here is the message in place that gets accepted when enabling any 3rd party app via gabb.com/account:

The biggest thing is that parents can choose to disable any 3rd-party apps that are concerning or problematic for their child.

We want to empower and team up with you as the parent. Enabling you to choose what is best for your situation! We know how important and complicated navigating this digital world with kids can be. We really do care and want to make it simple, give parents options, and help as best as we can. We fully support you to disable this app that might be a risk or not a good fit.

- Reagan

Answers

• ElizabethJune_98
    ElizabethJune_98 Member Posts: 10

Oh, okay! I see what you're doing. I actually really like that you are giving parents the ability to choose apps that work best for us. I guess I'll make sure to check out the app with my son first. Thanks for this info!

• rmak
    rmak Member Posts: 1

I am extremely disappointed and frustrated that after using the Greenlight app for a few weeks it is only now that I have discovered through the 'choose a charity' section that my children can access the internet on a GABB phone. I appreciate that you have a disclaimer on the app description on that says there are no parental controls but I do I feel duped and misled, as I naively assumed that a phone company whose purpose is keeping kids OFF the internet would not partner with companies who have secret backdoors to the internet hidden within their app.. Why it is incumbent upon the parent to hopefully discover this dangerous back door on one of your approved apps instead of your app vetting team?

• JaydenJohns
    JaydenJohns Moderator Posts: 4 Admin

Hi @rmak ,

We are so sorry to hear about the experience your son had with the Greenlight App on the Gabb Phone 3 Pro. With any 3rd party app, there are risks involved, which we state within our https://gabb.com/app-guide/ on our website. We are unable to control what is shown within the 3rd party apps as they are ran by the creators of those apps. However, we do safety checks before approving any app to the app library for parents to add.

Parents are able to enable and disable apps as they please for their child's device. We make our decisions based on the most requested apps by parents and if there are apps that some parents may not approve of, they do not need to enable them for their child. We want parents to feel empowered to help make this device as locked down or as flexible as they are needing for their family.

-Jayden

• Mpowell
    Mpowell Member Posts: 1

My child was able to access YouTube through the advertisements that come up in the Wordscapes game.

• ReaganKowal

Hi @Mpowell,

Your post was merged into this thread with customers who have experienced situations similar to yours. Make sure to check out this thread for answers to your question and concerns.

-Reagan

• Holly
    Holly Member Posts: 2

hopping in here to add to this conversation! My daughter has been able to access YouTube via the Magic Cube App. To be clear, there is no warning on this app around having potential internet access. It should just be the game. Is this something @Gabb Product you can review with your team and block this access?

We have had so many issues with this phone overall. We loved the watch, but the phone has been a headache.

• Gabb Product
    Gabb Product Administrator Posts: 87 Admin
    edited August 8

Hi @Holly,

First off - sorry to hear your Gabb Phone 3 Pro hasn't been as good of an experience as your watch. Regarding YouTube access via the third-party approved app Magic Cube - we recommend unapproving the app if there is access or content that you do not wish your daughter to have. You can remove third-party apps you've enabled at any time by following these steps:

1. From a computer, log in to gabb.com/account
    2. Select Gabb App Store
    3. Find and remove the app in question

With our Pro phone models (Gabb Phone 3 Pro and Gabb Phone 4 Pro) on an Advanced plan type, parents can enable these third-party apps as desired. Safety is our number one priority and we want to empower parents to make the best decisions for their individual families and situations. When approving Magic Cube (or any third-party app) the following disclaimer is displayed to the parent:

While we vet all apps available in our App Store for basic safety, each third-party app is managed by its developer and there are always risks involved with any app not developed by Gabb. We understand your concern and will take an additional consideration for the app in question. We truly appreciate you and hope that this can provide you with the flexibility you need for navigating tech with your daughter and family.

Thank you!

-Gabb Product Team

• bthoma
    bthoma Member Posts: 2

I find this response to be more disappointing than the problem. Gabb should hear this concern as an opportunity to further live their mission of providing kid safe devices, and giving parents peace of mind.

I am able to block domains on my router and through Apple’s Screen Time, so there must be a way for Gabb to block traffic from social media domains on their OS. I don’t expect Gabb to solve this overnight, but hiding behind terms of service and pretending that this isn’t solvable is not an acceptable solution.

Greenlight is an app promoted by Gabb. There is a marketing offer attached to it, so there is some level of partnership between Gabb and Greenlight. I chose Greenlight because it appeared to be promoted by Gabb and available on the Gabb platform (other apps were not available).

I would like Gabb to take the following action:

Block domain traffic from the major, known social media platforms:
    Meta/Facebook/Instagram
    Bytedance/TikTok
    Snapchat
    Twitter/X
    YouTube

I believe this is the right thing to do and would solve this issue.

Otherwise, all of this is false advertising:

• Gabb Product
    Gabb Product Administrator Posts: 87 Admin

Hi @bthoma

Thanks for this comment. We certainly understand your concern. Our Gabb Phone 4 is our phone for kids as it is best for calling, texting, and GPS tracking. It does not support our more robust parent enabled third-party app capabilities like our Pro phone models. With that being said, our Gabb Phone 4 does support a handful of non Gabb apps that the parent can enable (i.e. Quran, Gospel Library, Torah, Chess etc). The Greenlight app was one of these limited non Gabb apps that was available for the Gabb Phone 4.

We have removed Greenlight from being available for parent enabled download on the Gabb Phone 4.

If any app has potential for internet/social media access, we do not allow it on our Gabb Phone 4 as this device is the first step in tech for our phone options. Regarding blocking access via the OS of this device - this device is built a little differently to ensure further safety, and therefore is not an option.

Our Gabb Phone 4 is now supporting the system default apps (calendar, timer, Gabb Messenger, settings etc) as well as a limited lineup of optional parent approved apps (mentioned above). Our more robust teen phone, the Gabb Phone 4 Pro, supports the parent enabling of third-party apps (when using an Advanced plan). As mentioned in this discussion thread, parents are shown a disclaimer message when approving any third-party app. This disclaimer encourages parents to have conversations with their child and acknowledges any potential risks of the app they are enabling.

Thank you for your comment and discussion! We hope these different options allow you to navigate tech in steps for your child and family.

-Gabb Product Team

• Momma_K
    Momma_K Member Posts: 1

Unfortunately, MANY Gabb approved apps have internet access. My son is older, and has let me know with multiple apps, that he can get into the support part of the app and eventually get to google and has access to internet searches. So it's been pretty disappointing that we tried this avenue, only to find that even the "safe and approved" apps are actually not safe :( It's important for parents to know that there are back ways to the internet through many of Gabb apps!

• ReaganKowal

Hello @Momma_K,

Your post has been merged into this one as others have had similar experiences. Thank you for the post and your concern. Please reference the post above for more information.

Thank you!

-Reagan

• question
    question Member Posts: 6

The topics brought up here from other parents has me curious also. I have built in additional network security on our home Wi-Fi network to prevent something like this from happening on our computer network, so my question is do the gabb phone allow Wi-Fi access? That would resolve the problem when the phone is on the home network, however it doesn't resolve the problem when the are at the mall with their friends or disable wifi. So in that instance Google family would be able to take over for 3rd party apps that have that backdoor. But the question is can the gabb phone integrate with Google family in any way.

• ReaganKowal

Hi @question,

All of our Gabb Phones including our Gabb Watches have Wi-Fi capabilities for purposes such as Wi-Fi calling, Gabb Music/Gabb Music+ and any additional apps that may require Wi-Fi or data usage.

Google Family is not one of our Gabb Approved apps at this time. You can Request an App through the App Guide on our website.

-Reagan

• question
    question Member Posts: 6

What does request a app mean? Does Gabb support just add the app or is there something vetting process that happens that take time and then the app is added or denied and we are .ade aware of it?

• ReaganKowal

@question,

Good question. Each request that is submitted to our team goes through a review process. Once an app is submitted, our team will review it for safety. If the app passes our minimum safety standards, it will be made available for Gabb phones with a full review.

There is not a notification when the app is added to the App Store at this time. You can find out Reviewing Criteria on our Gabb App Guide page.

-Reagan

Gabb Help Center

Explore articles and tutorials to answer your product questions.

Visit Help Center