Gabb contact approval

WingZero
WingZero Member Posts: 2
edited August 21 in Gabb phones

Super frustrating. Just got two new Gabb Pro 3 phones. My kids have entered the contacts on their phones they would like to talk with. When I go to the parent Gabb Messenger app, manage contacts and add a contact from kids list there is NOTHING. I have updated all phones, synced, logged in and out, waited 24 hours and nothing. Support was unable to understand and answer my question. Please help

Comments

• ReaganKowal
    ReaganKowal Administrator, Moderator Posts: 474 Admin
    edited August 16

Hi @WingZero,

Definitely hear your frustration here. The Gabb Messenger Parent app on iOS is a great resource to help manage the contacts on the Gabb Phone 3 Pro (this feature is coming to Android soon).

Parents are able to add contacts to the phone by opening the Gabb Messenger Parent App > More > Contact Management > Parent-Managed > Add a new contact. You can find a video of these steps here.

If the contacts are not syncing to the phone, here are some troubleshooting steps:
    1. Settings > Troubleshooting > Sync Settings in Messenger on your kid's phone.
    2. Log out of the Parent Messenger app and back in
    3. Wait 24 hours after adding contact

Our Tech team has been made away of the trouble you are experiencing. They're going to be looking into this and get it fixed! Hope this helps!

-Reagan

• JB13
    JB13 Member Posts: 2

I am running into the same issue. The entire MORE is missing from the app, which is the only recommendation I am getting. I was able to get around it by hand entering the contacts but its super frustrating that I can not use the sync function.

• ReaganKowal

@JB13,

Thank you for sharing the troubleshooting steps you followed on your end. Sorry for any trouble this has caused. As stated above, our Tech team is investigating this and working to get a fix out as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

-Reagan

• Kotionok13
    Kotionok13 Member Posts: 3

I just ran into the same issue! I can not see the contacts from my child’s contact list on parent app. Also, the call log only shows phone numbers, not contact name.. which is insane since I don’t have all the numbers memorized to know who she talked to!

• Ababbino
    Ababbino Member Posts: 2

Any update on this? I am having the same issue.

• JustTraci
    JustTraci Member Posts: 2

Same for us. All the contacts were added to child's phone and then not viewable for approval in parent app. We had to re-enter all the contacts again in the parent app. This will be extremely frustrating when he wants to add friends.

• Kotionok13
    Kotionok13 Member Posts: 3

We had the same issue, but after adding a few contacts at different times, it appears that they do show up on parent app as a child’s contact list in 24-48 hour period after adding it to child’s phone… it is frustrating that it takes that long to sync up, but at least we didn’t have to re-enter all the contacts! If you are not seeing your kids contacts, give it at least 24 hours before trying again…

• bdcline
    bdcline Member Posts: 2

Just got a new phone. Same problem. Did anyone resolve this? This is a basic function of the advertised phone that should be working. I'll give it 24-48 hours, but this is super frustrating. Gabb IT needs to get this resolved.

• N_EsMom2
    N_EsMom2 Member Posts: 2

Any updates on this? To know that this feature is only available on IOS is concerning. This shouldn't have been rolled out until Apple and Droid users can access it. One of the main reasons I purchased this for my child was for safety features as such. I was very surprised to hear my son tell me that he added new numbers into his phone and I could not find the contacts section on the My Gabb app. After searching I found the separate messenger app but the contact controls says coming soon. I hope this coming soon is coming sooner than soon!

• CAH
    CAH Member Posts: 3

I really would love to see a way to approve contacts added to the Gabb phone 3. There are some people I don't necessarily want my child to be able to be able to contact. On the watch I approved all contacts but it seems on the phone they can add whomever they want.

• ReaganKowal

Hello @CAH,

Your post was merged into this one as others have had similar questions. Please reference the above comments for more information on Contact Management for your Gabb Phone 3 Pro.

Thank you!

-Reagan

• ADM
    ADM Member Posts: 2

I tried the troubleshooting steps listed in this post. However, I have the same problem when trying to see a new contact entered from my son's Gabb phone 3 pro. Disappointing. We haven't waited the 24 hour period yet, but that seems unnecessarily long in this day and age. He should be able to enter a contact in his phone, and once his phone is synced I should be able to see it right away. I don't get it. Why the delay?

We don't want to remove parental control of the contact list because that was a main reason we purchased this phone. But, this is not working well for my 14 year old starting at a new school and learning many new people. "My mom needs to enter your number on her phone" isn't going to fly.

• Gabb Product
    Gabb Product Administrator Posts: 87 Admin
    edited August 22

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your posts on this discussion. Here are some steps to follow if you're struggling to create an approved contact list for your child's Gabb phone:

1. Make sure your child is logged into their Gabb ID in the Gabb ID app on the Gabb phone. From there, tap the 3 dots at the top right hand corner of the screen and select Backup Now
    2. Make sure you're logged into the Gabb Messenger Parent app using your Gabb Account credentials
    3. Connect the Gabb phone to WiFi, open their Gabb Messenger and tap Settings > Troubleshooting > Sync Settings
    4. If the contacts do not appear in your Gabb Messenger Parent app, log out of the app and back in. Lastly, wait 24 hours for the contacts to appear.

For kids using the Gabb Phone 4, Gabb Phone 3 Pro, and Gabb Phone 4 Pro, the approved list will apply to texts and phone calls. You can learn more about Gabb Messenger and its features here.

We're working hard to improve the contact management, syncing process, and support this functionally for Android in addition to iOS. We understand how important this feature is for you and your family!

-Gabb Product Team

• AreYouSerious
    AreYouSerious Member Posts: 2

Hello, I tried both of the troubleshooting steps above including wait for > 48 hrs. I am operating Gabb Messenger Parent version 2.8.0, MyGabb version 1.3.4, and iOS 17.6.1 on iPhone SE. My child is operating Gabb ID version 1505.0, Gabb Messenger version 1.41.6150, Knox version 3.10, and Android 14 on Gabb Phone 4 Pro (Samsung Galaxy A15). My child has unapproved contacts in his Gabb Messenger, but they are not visible/available in my Gabb Messenger Parent Contact Management→Approved Contact List→Approve a new contact→From child's contact list. The only workarounds are either 1) disabling Parent-Managed contact list or 2) entering details for each new contact on my phone and sync settings on the child's phone. Not what I bought and not recommending Gabb Phone until it is fixed.

• Lauren_3
    Lauren_3 Member Posts: 3

@Gabb Product @ReaganKowal - please provide a date or approximate month when the Android app is slated to be released. We are an Android household, and this feature gap of not being able to block/remove/manage contacts is proving really challenging with the new Gabb phone we got for our middle schooler. For their well-being and safety, we will likely downgrade devices or switch to a different provider if this doesn't get rolled out soon. Thank you in advance for the details!

• Gabb Product
    Gabb Product Administrator Posts: 87 Admin

Hi @Lauren_3 ,

Thanks for your post here. Totally understandable that you're needing to create a managed contact list for your child's new Gabb phone. We're working hard to make it so that Android users can do this. Although we don't have an official release date planned, we're working to address this in the coming months. We for sure understand that the most important thing is that you have the right tech and setup for your family! Looks like a member of our team has reached out to you directly. Thanks so much.

-Gabb Product Team

• KEm
    KEm Member Posts: 4

I was honestly quite disappointed to learn that contact management is not already an available feature on Android, with no real timeline of when we can expect to have access to it. I did not see it clearly stated anywhere *before* purchasing that we would not actually have access to this option any time soon, or else we simply would not have gone with Gabb at this time, since that was the biggest selling point for me. I feel that potential customers would benefit from further transparency and clarification on a few points, but this is definitely a big one.

At first, I thought we could wait out a couple of months, but my child has had three calls from unknown numbers already this week (it is late Wednesday night/early Thursday morning as I write this comment) and two texts from PayPal - he's 12 and definitely doesn't have a PayPal account (I verified that these were not phishing attempts, and did indeed come from PayPal, but to the wrong number - assuming someone typed the wrong number, or perhaps previously had the same number as my child does now).

It is incredibly frustrating, since we have had this phone less than a month and are already dealing with this, with seemingly no end in sight, since there is no stated timeframe for Android contact management access.

• MerMoRiah
    MerMoRiah Member Posts: 2

The contact management is the sole reason we bought the Gabb phone 4. We did not realize it would be months if not more before it would be available to android. We would not have bought it otherwise. We unfortunately will end up switching if it does not end up coming out very soon. I don't want to switch as we do enjoy the phone and the rest of the features, it is what caught our eye in the first place when we heard of it. I don't know if there are any other options to use the contact management feature, but we are an android only household. Any info would be super appreciated, please and thank you.

Gabb Help Center

Explore articles and tutorials to answer your product questions.

Visit Help Center