Remind me how to choose which contacts can get/send messages

Options
KCB
KCB Member Posts: 3
edited June 17 in Software

Remind me how to choose which contacts can get/send messages. We had to limit who our child messaged. We'd now like to expand that a little, but I can't recall how to control which contacts are approved.

Answers

• ReaganKowal
    ReaganKowal Moderator Posts: 107 Admin
    edited June 17
    Options

Hey @KCB,

Managing your child's approved contact list is done via the Gabb Messenger Parent app.

To manage the approved contacts list:

1. Open Gabb Messenger for Parents App
    2. Tap on "More"
    3. Tap on "Contact Management"

Requirements for the feature to work:

1. The child must be logged into Gabb ID
    2. The child must be connected to Wi-Fi or data
    3. The child must be using Gabb Messenger
    4. Settings must sync on the child’s device. Settings will automatically sync every 4 hours if the child is logged into GabbID. If the parent wants to expedite and sync in real-time, they can go to Settings > Troubleshooting > Sync Settings on their child’s Gabb Messenger to pull down the settings immediately.

The approved contact list applies to texting for all of our handheld devices (Gabb Phone, Gabb Phone Plus, Gabb Phone 3 Pro). It currently applies to phone calls as well for our Gabb Phone 3 Pro. We hope to ensure that it applies to phone calls for our new phones released in the future as well.

*Please note that contact management in the Gabb Messenger Parent app is available for iOS only at this time and is coming soon to Android.

-Reagan

• Tadman5739
    Tadman5739 Member Posts: 1
    Options

New Gabb Phone 3 Pro parent.

I am at a complete loss and support has not been able to assist at all other than to tell me to look at the Gabb Messenger App. I want to restrict incoming phone calls to people on the contact list, the phone has been active for less that a day and it has received a collections call for the numbers previous owner, and a call to renew her auto warranty and a third call asking to re-finance her student debt.

We have set up a few contacts, and set the messenger app for texts to those contacts, is there any way to block calls from numbers not in those contacts?

The support person said I could block the numbers after I had reviewed the calls. That just means that if my daughter receives an inappropriate call, I can stop the second one. To me that means a bully or predator only get to try once. And SPAM calls have free reign. Did I completely miss the point of the Gabb service?

In the Gabb Messenger Parent App there are 25 messages that are all garbage with malicious links, but at least these didn't make it to the phone, so at least that works.

Is there a way to restrict incoming calls and can someone point me to it?

• ReaganKowal
    ReaganKowal Moderator Posts: 107 Admin
    edited June 21
    Options

Hi @Tadman5739,

Sorry to hear about the concern and frustration you've experienced with receiving phone calls intended for the previous owner of the phone number. In this day and age, it is rare to receive a number for a new line that was not used previously, unfortunately. In situations like this, we take the safety of the Gabb user's phone number very seriously. I'd be happy to help clarify our Gabb Messenger Parent app feature and how it can help.

Our Gabb Messenger Parent app does allow parents to add approved contacts to the device. The approved contact list applies to texting for all of our handheld devices (Gabb Phone, Gabb Phone Plus, Gabb Phone 3 Pro). It also applies to phone calls for the Gabb Phone 3 Pro only. We hope to ensure that this applies to phone calls for our new phones released in the future as well.

To enable approved contact in the Gabb Messenger Parent app, please follow these steps:

1. Open Gabb Messenger for Parents App
    2. Tap on "More"
    3. Tap on "Contact Management"
    4. Select "Parent-Managed"

Once these steps are taken, the contacts that can communicate with the Gabb phone will be managed by you. When a contact that is not added attempts to call the Gabb Phone 3 Pro, the call will automatically disconnect. If you have any trouble with this process, please reach back out to our Customer Support so we can get this escalated to our Product team to investigate.

-Reagan

Gabb Help Center

Explore articles and tutorials to answer your product questions.

Visit Help Center